6 November 2013

Foraging walk.

This weekend I headed out on a guided forage walk. I had wanted to go foraging for aggggess, but never knew where to start. So I thought this walk would be perfect; it would give me an idea of where to go and learn what to look for so that I can head out on my own whenever I like. Plus, it means I had to talk to people which I generally avoid at all costs, but need to get used to.

It was misty and muddy but it turned out to be a pretty beautiful day! We found loads and I learnt a lot. We saw a huge variety of berries, mushrooms, nuts and herbs. I didn't pick any of the berries though, I didn't want them to get smushed up in my bag! Next time I'll definitely take a little plastic box to protect them.



Best of all though; apple trees! About a dozen, all different varieties and all full of fruit. It was amazing! Apparently they are part of an old orchard the monks of Kirkstall Abbey planted, but has long since been abandoned and left to grow as nature intended. I grabbed as many as I could carry. I wish I'd have gotten more. You need someone tall to help you apple pick. Al the best looking ones were at the top... The mass of apples became apple-cinnamon swirles and are soon to be a batch of apple sauce or jam, or maybe even a pie. I can't decide!



I'm a little gutted that the seasonal timing wasn't so great (some berries were overripe). BUT, I now know the basics and can build on it with trips out by myself. I can't wait to go mushroom picking next year and in spring I am going to go crazy for elderflower. How could anyone not want to make Elderflower Champagne!? Fingers crossed for hazelnuts and blackberries too.

_____________________

5 comments:

  1. Amazing, I would love to go forage one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a wonderful little adventure! I'd love to know somewhere to get little wild crabapples - they make the best jams. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our guide actually brought a crab apple jelly with him that he'd made from ones he picked a week earlier, and it was amazing! I'd never had it before.


      chloexx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the interesting and very useful topic.
    Art Photography For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can head out on my own whenever I like. Plus, it means I had to talk to people which I generally avoid at all costs, but need to get used to. locksmith speedway Indianapolis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts. I love to hear what you all think and I do read every single one soooo if you have a question, feel free to ask!

chloe x

Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY, Coffee // By The Lock Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY and Coffee // By The Lock