30 January 2014

Home-Made Dog Treats

I have been super excited to make some home-made dog treats for our pup since we decided to get her.  I'm not a huge fan of store bought dog-foods, I have a few reasons why but mainly I want to control exactly what my pup eats and so many of those companies test on animals, which is not something I want to support. PLUS, making my own treats means I can play around with ingredients I know she likes and save a little money too.

The first biscuits I made were Peanut butter and Carrot bones. I read a load of recipes and mashed one together from my favourites. I used; 1 large shredded carrot, a cup of oats, 2 cups of flour, 2 tablespoons of Peanut (not added anything) butter and enough water to make a thick cookie-doughish dough. Baked at Gas Mark 5 until they were crispy.


I got the little bone cookie cutter for about £2.50 on ebay and worked out to be the perfect size for our bearded lady. The recipe made way more than I expected and she loved them. (Although, she is a puppy and will eat pretty much anything that is put in front of her...) Once these are all eaten, I'm thinking of making sage flavoured ones and using a meaty stock instead of water.

"Mooorree!!"
___________________

6 comments:

  1. Those look so good, we tried baking homemade cat food the month, the kitties were not impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no!! I was so worried she wouldn't like these treats, but dogs really do eat anything, I guess cats are picky!


      chloex

      Delete
  2. Wow those look great! We're definitely considering getting a pup this year, hopefully around May-time and I'd love to be able to feed my pooch some homemade goodies ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting, you should definitely give these a try

      chloex

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh this is amazing. I'm picking my puppy up in 2 weeks time, and my partner works at Pets at Home, and only wants to feed her the best stuff, but sometimes its hard to find nice, fun treats... I had never even thought of making my own!
    Thanks for the great idea! & good luck with your new puppy :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky lil girl! The last photo is hilarious. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts. I love to hear what you all think and I do read every single one soooo if you have a question, feel free to ask!

chloe x

Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY, Coffee // By The Lock Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY and Coffee // By The Lock