17 July 2012

A Book a Week #4


This week I decided to sway away from the serious, and share with you guys a different kind of favourite book with you all.

This was bought for me by a friend on my 18th (I think?) birthday, so it doesn’t even have any childhood memories stuck with it, and although you wont catch me on train or in a café reading any of Dr. Seuss’ books, I am holding on to this in the hope that one day I can read it with my own children.

You’re all probably very away of who Dr. Seuss is, and I’m sure I don’t need to introduce you to him, or his style of writing and illustration but what I wanted to tell you was why I love him. Apparently over in America (Hi guys!) this book is a popular gift to give to high school graduates, and people off to college, I had no idea! What a great idea! Anyway, the reason I love this little book so much is the realism, even though this is clearly a children’s book with huge monsters, and strange lands (and made up words!) it isn't a super happy everything-goes-right-all-the-time story. Okay, not that I want my children to be jaded, but I want them to know that they have the power to make things good again, and they shouldn't just wait for life, or someone else, to change its course and sort everything out for them. It’s pretty empowering when you think about, maybe I'm reading too much into it?

"Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed. (98¾% guaranteed.)"

I haven’t read very many of his other things actually, I’d love to get my hands on some of the original printings.Whats your favourite Sesuss book?


.

Ps. Did you know his surname is actually pronounced ‘Soice’! He realised that Americans (and English speakers) would naturally pounce it ‘Soose’, and stuck with it for its liking to ‘Mother Goose’ (I found that out here.)

Pps. I put together a list of all the books you have recommended me along with the ones I' m planning to read, have a look, and don't forget to recommend me your favourites so I can add them on!


Ppps. No photo of me today, I am sick and awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts. I love to hear what you all think and I do read every single one soooo if you have a question, feel free to ask!

chloe x

Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY, Coffee // By The Lock Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY and Coffee // By The Lock