7 September 2012

#FFF - Curried Lentils

September is the busiest month for Dixon at work, meaning he works later than usual and comes home completely warn out. Hes a screen printer and constantly on his feet, its pretty demanding! Its a bit of a bummer. I've made us a few tasty meals this week (I have been super proud of some of the things I've made!). I did this one yesterday, it was pretty tasty, and Dixon even requested seconds, so it must have been good!



Like most of the meals I make its really loosely based on an actual recipe. So don't take this as a complete step by step guide, have fun! Put in things you love, take out that you don't.

I used; 1 cup green lentils (I used the kind you don't need to soak), 1 large carrot sliced into quarters, 1 large onion diced, hand full of button mushrooms quartered, hand full of cherry tomatoes diced, half a red chili finely chopped, 3 cloves of garlic crushed and finely chopped, a hand full of peas and a little lemon juice. For spices I used hot garam masala, ground cumin and ground coriander. Fresh coriander would have been amazing! But ours had given up the ghost. Optional soy milk

I did; I used a pretty heavy pan, heated a little oil and cooked the onions and garlic on a low heat, once the onions are a little see through, I added half a tea spoon of garam masala, quarter of cumin, and quarter of coriander. Throw in the rest of the veg and lentils and stir well. Add about 2 table spoons of lemon juice (lime would do great too) and saute for a couple of minutes. Add enough water to cover the whole mixture. Turn up the heat until the water boils, and lower it to a simmer again. Put on the lid! 

I left it simmering for about 30minutes, checking every so often that there was enough water. Have a taste of the sauce, and add in whatever you think it needs, I added a little salt at this point and a little more garam masala. I added a little soy milk at this point too as a lot of the recipes I'd read asked for something creamy and it was the closest thing I had. Once the lentils are softened, and the carrots are too (they're probably what will take the longest). I let it simmer without the lid to reduce dpown. 

Once you're happy everything is softened and tasty. And you're left with a pretty dry curry you can serve it up! We had ours with a little lemony rice. My flat breads would have been a great side too. Enjoy your Friday!

___________________

Whilst you're here, why not follow my blog? If I can make it to 50 followers, I'm going to do a little give away, and once I hit 100! I'll have to do something really special!! You can use the little follow button on the left, or you can find me on bloglovin, and twitter. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts. I love to hear what you all think and I do read every single one soooo if you have a question, feel free to ask!

chloe x

Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY, Coffee // By The Lock Lifestyle Blog // Nature, DIY and Coffee // By The Lock